Welcome to Year 4!
Meet the Staff
This year will be my 25th year of teaching - I know it's hard to believe as I look so youthful!! ;) I love working at St Michael's; the staff are so passionate about providing the best for all our wonderful children and it is truly a pleasure to come to work every day. I love teaching all subjects and helping the children reach their full potential. This past year has been a real challenge but I'm sure it is one that we will be able to move on from and achieve bigger and better things in the future.
Hi, my name is Miss Young. Although I have worked at St Michael's for many years, this is my first year as Teaching Assistant. So far I am loving it ❤. I get great pleasure in working alongside the children and seeing them learn during their school day. Outside of school, I enjoy going to the gym, caring for my many pets and spending time with my family.
Before joining St Michael's I spent many years working abroad, however, I always felt a pull to return to the UK and my teaching career: it remains the best decision I ever made.
I am one of class 4LP's teachers. I have worked at St. Michael's my whole teaching career. I now work part-time, after having my little girl last year. Our school is a truly brilliant place to teach, with such wonderful children! I feel lucky to be part of such a special school community which is filled with lots of love and learning!
This half-term our English lessons will focus on: The Adventures of Odysseus and The Ironman.
Our lessons will focus on developing our key comprehension skills, writing letters in role, scripts and a balanced argument.
Useful websites for English:
- Once upon a picture https://www.onceuponapicture.co.uk/
- Pobble 365 – daily activities http://www.pobble365.com/
- Literacy shed – Videos to watch & answer questions, along with writing activities https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html
- Spelling Shed APP – charge of £2.99 but is a one-off payment and is very useful for daily spelling practice
- Oxford Owl – free ebooks https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/
- Literacy shed plus - free texts to read with your child and questions to develop their comprehension
Use the spelling mats below to help practise words expected for the end of KS2. Remember you can do this in lots of fun ways too! Look at the images for some imaginative ways to do this!
This half-term our Maths will focus on: Subtraction & multiplication
This half-term our KIRF focus is: 9 and 11 multiplication facts
Useful websites for Maths:
- TT Rockstars https://ttrockstars.com/
- Hit the Button https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Maths games - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/5-7-years/counting
The below images show how we teach the four operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication & divisions.
The images show example questions with a pictorial to go alongside this.
This half-term our topic is: Wakefield: A local study. This will focus on the history of Wakefield and how it has changed in the last 200 years.
In Science we are studying: Sound
In this unit we will be learning about: how instruments make sound, how we hear, pitch and volume.
In Computing we will be learning to:
- Create, host and play an online quiz about the Roman Empire
- Create and share songs through experiments
In Art we will be looking at sculptures. We will study Paul Klee and look at the puppets made by him, before learning how to make our own sculptures and the different techniques to do this.
Download the powerpoint to learn and practise our Easter production songs over the half-term holidays.
The words for all of our Easter songs are attached below. Please start to practise these over the half-term holidays.